Installation of IoT air quality measuring sensors in Nicosia
CARDET has proceeded with the installation of IoT air quality measuring sensors in 5 focal points in Nicosia, successfully entering the implementation phase of the AIRTHINGS Project. The sensors will collect real time data on the most common pollutants (PM2.5, PM10, CO, NO2, temperature, humidity and pressure), thus contributing to a more reliable recording of air quality in Cyprus’ capital. Citizens will gain access to the collected data through an application that will be developed in the upcoming months.
The sensors’ installation was supported by several public authorities which reveals the collective effort in mitigating the problem of air pollution through effective monitoring and adaptation of more sustainable way of living. Specifically, CARDET has collaborated with the Parliament and the Municipalities of Egkomi, Lakatameia, Latsia and Strovolos for the sensors’ installation, in order to provide full coverage of the main urban areas of Nicosia. The 5 points were selected based on the volume of traffic in the aforementioned areas, which is the main source of pollution on the island.
The AIRTHINGS Project, co-founded by the Interreg V-B Balkan-Mediterranean 2014-2020, aims at informing and raising public awareness on air pollution, so that the competent bodies will take immediate action in reducing the air pollutants. Towards this end, the program has proceeded with the installation of sensors and plans to create a user-friendly application that will give citizens the opportunity to access general information on air quality and live measurements, and receive push notifications and recommendations, when pollutant levels are high.
- Air It Nicosia MarathonIn Latest NewsSeptember 26, 2019
- Interview in Phileleutheros Newspaper 13/06/19In Latest NewsSeptember 26, 2019
- CARDET took the Mask Challenge within the World Environment DayIn Latest NewsSeptember 26, 2019
- Info day at the Mall of CyprusIn Latest NewsSeptember 26, 2019
- Design and Supply of communication/information materialsIn Latest NewsSeptember 26, 2019
- A workshop on air quality in Cyprus and EuropeIn Latest NewsSeptember 26, 2019